Meeting report February 5
- Morley, Leave now mine eyes
- Vulpius, harm. Bach, Das neugeborne Kindelein
- da Rore, Hor che'l ciel e la terra , Così sol dâuna chiara fonte viva , and Tanto mi piacque
- Weelkes, As Vesta was from Latmos Hill descending
- Cavendish, Come, gentle Swains
- Purcell, Five Reasons
Meeting report February 12
- Morley, lots of Canzonets to two voices
- Byrd, Upon a Somers day
- Heurteur, Quand je bois
- Sermisy, Changeons propos, c'est trop chante d'amours and Vignon, vignon, vignon, vignette
- Reading , In praise of white wine
We will be meeting regularly on Tuesday nights at 7:45 PM at my place .
Walk for Hunger
I now have our official invitation to play the Walk for Hunger at the same time and place as the last several years.
I will need to know by the March 5 rehearsal who is planning to play. As for the last couple of years, only the last two rehearsals before the walk are compulsory, but you will need to come to enough of the other rehearsals in March and April to learn the music.
As anyone who has planned events knows, I can't tell you the details of what we'll be doing until I know who's going to be doing it. Basically the commitment is:
- To learn the music we decide on in March and April.
- To come to the final two rehearsals in April. This means a regular rehearsal on Tuesday April 23, and one some time in the week or April 28. Because I will be working at the election on April 30, we may try to schedule the final rehearsal at some other time, and possibly even some other place, since rehearsing indoors for an outdoor performance is sub-optimal. We will schedule this rehearsal when we know who needs to come.
- To play two 1-hour sets, with at least a half hour break between them on Sunday, May 5, at the beautiful site on the banks of the Charles River, some time between 10 AM and 3 PM. This has usually meant being at the site between 11:30 AM and 3 PM, but this time can be modified slightly for the convenience of the performers. If you don't have at least three and a half hours free on May 5, this is the wrong performance to sign up for.
In addition, rehearsal discipline is a bit tighter when we're being a performing group than when we're being a dropin group. Performers should expect to show up for rehearsals on time, to let me know whether they're coming or not, and to bring the music and instruments they will be performing on.
There's also a possibility of scheduling a second performance of the music we learn for the Walk, but that's another thing we schedule when we know more about who is doing what.